A large crowd gathered to remember the “old library” on Solano and applaud the 20 year anniversary of the current library. It was a wonderful afternoon enjoyed by generations of library lovers.
Charles Haller, the nephew of Nurse Mary Ann Le Match, spoke of the early days of the hospital. Nurse LeMatch purchased the hospital in the early 1930’s and changed the name from Humboldt Hospital to Albany Hospital. During the War, Albany Hospital expanded the maternity ward to meet the increased demand.
Cassie Borgnino Dusterdick spoke of the work of her late father, Dr. Borgnino. He along other local doctors purchased and ran the Hospital providing outstanding medical care to their patients. They built a reputation of excellence at Albany Hospital.
One participant proudly announced she was born at Albany Hospital exactly 71 years ago today and shared with the audience her baby book.
Ray Gonzalves reminded the gathering the AFD held Civil Defense Drills at the hospital and taught nurses how to use fire extinguishers.
The Albany Hospital plaque, which was donated to the City of Albany on May 21, will be installed in front of the Community Center in the coming weeks. We are grateful to everyone who participated in our dedication event.
Albany to avoid confusion with another California town which had earlier chosen the name of Ocean View. The town trustees talked it over and Mayor Frank Roberts suggested the name of Albany after his birthplace of Albany New York. This proposition was accepted by the voters and the change was filed by Alameda County in the ensuing few weeks.
The Albany Historical Society commemorated this event on October 25th, 2009. Included in the celebration was the presentation to the City of Albany of a Historic Time Capsule to be opened in 2059 and Four Historic Site plaques.