Several dozen people gathered in the Edith Stone Room of the Albany Library on Sunday, June 3, 2012 to celebrate and remember Albany Hospital. Many of the participants reminisced about their children or their siblings being born at the hospital. Children were not allowed into the maternity ward so newborn infants were often held up in the window so siblings could see their new brother or sister.
Charles Haller, the nephew of Nurse Mary Ann Le Match, spoke of the early days of the hospital. Nurse LeMatch purchased the hospital in the early 1930’s and changed the name from Humboldt Hospital to Albany Hospital. During the War, Albany Hospital expanded the maternity ward to meet the increased demand.
Cassie Borgnino Dusterdick spoke of the work of her late father, Dr. Borgnino. He along other local doctors purchased and ran the Hospital providing outstanding medical care to their patients. They built a reputation of excellence at Albany Hospital.
One participant proudly announced she was born at Albany Hospital exactly 71 years ago today and shared with the audience her baby book.
Ray Gonzalves reminded the gathering the AFD held Civil Defense Drills at the hospital and taught nurses how to use fire extinguishers.
The Albany Hospital plaque, which was donated to the City of Albany on May 21, will be installed in front of the Community Center in the coming weeks. We are grateful to everyone who participated in our dedication event.